Pregnancy Following Miscarriage
Congratulations, you're pregnant! Pregnancy is amazing and wonderful no matter who you are, but if you have already suffered a miscarriage, this pregnancy is particularly special. You have chosen to give life to another baby, even though you may be a little scared and scarred. Your gift of life to this baby you are carrying is magnificent.
Learning you are pregnant, passing the point in your pregnancy when you miscarried before, hearing your baby's heartbeat for the first time, waiting for amniocentesis results, and just awaiting your baby's birthdate are all experiences that can be especially loaded with emotion for a mom who has lost a baby in the past. Any of these can inspire an overwhelming mixture of worry, grief, guilt, relief, and joy. It's important that you acknowledge and share these feelings and thoughts, and that all through your pregnancy, you take especially good care of yourself both emotionally and physically.
Here are a few tips for a successful and fulfilling pregnancy.
- Communicate with your caregiver. Talk about your miscarriage and its cause. Share your concerns and make sure that you and your baby get the care you need and want.
- The wonderful thing about communicating with your caregiver is that they will tell you the good news: the odds are in your favor. Remember that. The minority of pregnancies end in miscarriage even after another miscarriage. Dare to think positive.
- Get yourself as much support as you need. Talk through your fears with your partner, a support group, or a counselor.
- Don't pretend your lost baby never existed or isn't a part of your life. The baby you lost is a little person you loved into existence and cared for with your own breath and blood. They were a part of your body and they are still a part of your life, a part of who you are. Value them, value their memory, and your relationship with them will be as whole and happy as possible.
- Don't be afraid to bond with the baby you are carrying. The greatest gift you can give your child is your love and attention. Focus your thoughts and feelings on the life inside you. Celebrate it. Enjoy
- Relax and take your pregnancy one day at a time. Take care of yourself each day. Appreciate each day. Get through each day. That's all you or your baby needs to do.